Thursday, November 16, 2006

Traffic Class field IPv6 packet

According RFC 2460, the 8-bit Traffic Class field in the IPv6 header can be for identifying different classes or priorites of IPv6 packets. This is similat to Type of Service (TOS) in IPv4 packet.

Mirai-SF network simulator has all the source code which defined the IPv6 packet, routing of IPv6 in router and IPv6 layer which can handles protocol messages from above and below layers.

I have some trouble in extracting the traffic class information from the IPv6 packets. May be, I just dont know how to use to method to extract the information that I want.

private byte packet[];

packet = new byte[40];

The initial values are:
packet[0]=0;
packet[1]=0;


Is this true?

10:30 pm. Still no luck. I have browsed through source code which does the similar thing to extract the IPPacket from the Frame packet.

14:40 pm. Here is an update on Friday afternoon. I just received an email from the MIRAI-SF developer regarding the traffic field of the IPv6 packet. There is a bug in the source code which caused the value for traffic class does not remain when reached the destination node.

Evening of 18th Nov 2006, I found the tunnelling method which did not pass the Traffic Class information in the IPv6 packets. I will double check if this is correct.

No comments: